Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Power of Prayer

I believe in the power of prayer. My fourth grade Sunday School teacher, Polly Hurlbert, convinced me of this. Polly was a very fancy lady. She always wore a hat, white gloves and lots of jewelry. I guess she considered it her calling to teach us at the Congregational Church in Jefferson. One Sunday morning she said to me, "Beverly, I have a story to tell you. Do you remember when you were so sick a few years ago?" I did. Our family doctor could not figure out what was wrong with me until my appendix burst, and my temperature skyrocketed to 106 degrees. To make a long story short, I spent eighteen days in the hospital. That was a long time for a six year old. Polly told me my brother prayed very hard for me. He prayed by himself and he prayed with Polly during Sunday School. He was in her fourth grade class that year. Polly truly believed my brother saved my life with his prayers. Her story made a believer of me.
Prayers are not always answered in the way we would like or expect. But they really help in some way of other. My advice for 2009 is to say your prayers every day.

No comments: