Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ten on Tuesday


This post will be about relatives I discovered or found out more about recently by researching on Ancestry.com.
1. This is a picture of the Walton girls. My grandmother Lillie is on the far left. I am only guessing about Lucy, Mary and Flora. I am reasonably sure the one on the right is Libby.
2. My grandmother Lillian Walton Stewart's parents were born in England. By Jove, that makes me quite British.
3. The Waltons were in New Lyme, Ohio according to the 1870 Census. Along with her parents Henry and Elizabeth, Grandma Walton Stewart lived with her two brothers, Tommy and Henry, and her three sisters, Lucy, Mary and Flora. The oldest sister Elizabeth(Libby) had already married and left home. My grandma Lillie was the second youngest, born in 1858 when her mother was 38 and her father was 46.
4. My mother told me on several occasions that her mother Lillie had ESP. When Uncle Hank (Her brother Henry) died in 1942, she told my mother and another pregnant relative not to go to the funeral. It would bring bad luck. My mother stayed home, but the other lady went. Her baby died the year I was born. This story has always given me cold chills.
5. I used to chat with Helen Green at the Lenox Homecomings. I knew she was some kind of a relative. I found her in the 1920 census as a one year old. She was the granddaughter of Grandma Stewart's brother Tommy.
6. I found Laura Walton as a four year old living with her Uncle Henry and Aunt Mary in the 1900 Census. I think she was a daughter of Tommy, but his wife died and perhaps he thought he could not care for her properly. He has two boys listed living with him during the 1900 Census. They are George, 16, and Oliver who was 11. That sad story continued, because Laura died at 18.
7. Perhaps that story gave my grandfather Rockwell's brother the idea to adopt my mother after Rockwell's passing. Elroy and his wife Kate had no children. Rockwell had six. Grandma Stewart said, "No, you can't have her."
8. As a result my mother Marie had to grow up without too much supervision. Everyone had to be working on the farm. Little Marie did things like rip up the family picture album and drop her mother's diamond ring down a hole in the kitchen floor. I suppose the ring is still there.
9. I have a childhood memory of someone pointing to a white house somewhere in Ashtabula County and saying it belonged to Hugh Gray. I found Hugh in the 1910 Census. He was the oldest child of Grandma Stewart's baby sister Flora.
10. I wish I would have paid more attention to genealogy when I was younger.

1 comment:

Marie said...

So much information! And I am definitely paying attention.