Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ten on Tuesday




1. On Saturday my brother and I went cemetery hopping. We started out at the Chestnut Grove Cemetery in Ashtabula. Our great-great grandfather, Frederick Augustus Stewart, is buried there. Alas, we could not find him.
2. The Chestnut Grove Cemetery is supposedly haunted. The Ashtabula Bridge disaster was one of the worst train accidents in this country. It happened on December 29, 1876. The train fell into the huge gulf that is next to the cemetery. A large statue sits in the cemetery where the victims were buried. A few feet away from the statue is a creepy looking building where a person named Collins is buried. He designed the bridge and died shortly after the disaster occurred under mysterious circumstances.
3. We also visited the small but ancient cemetery in Amboy in search of Fred's wife Miranda. I think they were living in this town when she died. But, we could not find her either.
4. We ate lunch at the Doxie Dairy in the Harbor.
5. During recent researching on Ancestry.com, I connected with a cousin on the Ritter side of the family. Roy lives in California now. His great-grandparents lived next door to my grandparents in Lenox over 100 years ago. I found them in the 1900 census and the 1910 census.
6. Popcorn Monday had a good movie this week. We saw The Ghost Writer. It has not had much publicity, but we both liked it.
7. Some former Miami Trace students of Richard found him on the Internet with a Google search. It was fun to catch up on what they have been doing.
8. We spent this morning at the Hudson Library.
9. This month I am reviewing Amazing Grace; A Vocabulary of Faith by Kathleen Norris for the church newsletter.
10. It is time for Glee.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Thank you VERY much for not telling me that story when I was tramping around the cemeteries with you. I most definitely enjoy the bell story better.

jill said...

Amazing Grace is on my list ;)

Two you might want to look for, both in either children's or YA:

Eli the Good by Silas House
Leaving Gee's Bend by Irene Latham

Both so very good ;)