This morning Christie told us why she had to cancel her class yesterday. She turned on a wash load and left to do errands. While she was gone the hose disconnected from the back of the washing machine in her first floor laundry room. An estimated eighty gallons of water flooded the first floor as well as the basement. I can only imagine the damage it must have done.
The moral of the story is that it is not a good idea to leave home while the laundry is washing. I learned a long time ago not to leave when a drier is going. We were home when ours caught fire. It did make a humdinger of a show and tell for Marie's kindergarten class that day.